You know that old saying, if walls could talk…? Of course when this statement is made it is usually used in a different context, but what if your walls were actually trying to tell you something. Are you listening?
Here are some warnings your home may be trying to give you that shouldn’t be ignored:
- Water puddles near the foundation. Your gutter system is designed specifically to direct water away from your home, and more specifically away from your foundation. If there are puddles forming around the foundation of your home consistently when it rains, this may be a sign that your homes gutters were not installed properly, the wrong system was installed, or your gutters are clogged. Depending on the amount of rainfall your home encounters, and the pitch of your roof, 6” oversized gutters may be necessary for you, as they hold more water. If your gutters are leaking from the seams, endcaps, fascia, or other areas they shouldn’t be, chances are the install was done improperly. Cleaning your gutters regularly is required to help maintain your gutters, expand their longevity, and keep them flowing correctly. So why is this a red flag for your home? Water build up near your foundation can mean bigger problems in the future like water in your basement, cracked foundation, rotted wood, mold, and warping.
- Roof Damage. Much like a gutter system is your homes first line of defense against water, your roof is your homes first line of defense against outside elements. If your roof is missing shingles or has softer/rotting spots there is potential for water damage to occur within your home, as well as potential for other outside debris and particles to enter your home, or collapse your roof, especially during storms. What may seem like a small leak, or a small manageable problem at the moment can turn into a much bigger, more expensive problem in the future.
- Peeling paint. Although paint peeling may appear to be a sign of the need for a new paint job, this pealing can actually be telling you more. This can be caused by moisture within the wall, or rotting. If you suspect there may be an issue with your walls and the paint continues to peel, you may want to think about having a professional come in to inspect the area, and see if this is in fact a sign of a bigger issue.
- Bad smells. If you smell an odor coming from an area of the home, this is something to look into further. A musty, damp smell could mean potential for mold. The removal of mold can be a long pricey process and ingestion of mold within the air can be damaging to your health. Having an area looked at right away when this smell is detected, can help stop the dampness and growth of mold before it begins. There are other smells to be aware of like those coming from animals and other pests that could be in your walls, basement, or attic.
- Faulty or old wires. If your lights are often flickering, or your circuits are often not working, this could be a sign of faulty or old wires that should be replaced. Other signs include, outlets not working, light switches warm to the touch, buzzing or charred outlets, and a burning smell. Faulty or old wires can potentially cause electrical-related house fires. For this reason, it is very important not to ignore these important electrical warning signs.
Although your home cannot actually tell you what problems it is experiencing, there are often very clear indications something needs your attention. Often these problems may seem minor, but they could be hinting at bigger issues and are red flags that should not be ignored. Make sure to pay attention to the warning signs and when in doubt have a professional inspect these areas to be certain they are in fact minor problems. It is always better to be safe than sorry! The Brothers that just do Gutters are here to help you with your gutter needs, and have a pool of professional referrals for other needs your home requires.