People often ask us how to know if they need new gutters, and we’ve found that chances are, if your home currently has a spiked gutter system, this means they are likely at least 10-20 years old. This may definitely be an indication that you are in need of a replacement installation.
Although, properly maintained aluminum gutters can last up to 30 years, hidden hangers are stronger than spikes, and typically last longer.
Here are some more advantages to using the more current and common hidden hanger method:
- Create a clean “hidden” look. The hanger is hidden within the gutter which gives it a much cleaner, and aesthetically pleasing look as compared to the very visible spike.
- Security and strength. The bracket and screw design of a hidden hanger provides a more secure means of hanging the gutter to the fascia board. Because it is more secure, it can outlast a spiked system as far as longevity and coping with atmosphere changes and obstacles. This security also provides more strength and they are able to handle more weight than spikes, which is particularly important during the winter months as we begin to see snow and ice.
- Not phased by expanding aluminum. During weather changes and certain atmospheric conditions, aluminum will expand and contract. If your gutters are hung by a spike, they will begin to pull out of, and away from the fascia board. This can allow water to flow in between the gutter system and the fascia board, and create potential for the gutter system to come down. Because of the security and design of hidden hangers, they do not move or pull away when aluminum contracts.
- Not as time consuming. Since spikes have to be hammered into the fascia, it takes more time and care to install while avoiding the gutter from getting bent. Also, if the fascia is too hard, it may cause the spike to bend.
- Easier to repair. Once the spikes are in, it is nearly impossible to repair or re-pitch it without damage, as removing spikes is typically done by using a crowbar on the gutter to pry the spikes out.
Since gutter spikes are the “old school way” of installing, and do not last as long as hangers, if you have a spiked gutter system is may be on its last leg. Updating to a new system with hidden hangers can extend your systems lifespan up to another 30 years, while also improving its aesthetic appeal. If you are ready to have a new gutter system installed contact The Brothers that just do Gutters today!