Gutter systems are designed with one goal- to properly divert water away from your home and to prevent moisture damage. The professionals here at Brothers Gutters most commonly see rain gutters leaking, sagging, overflowing, and pooling runoff around the home. Without attending to these issues, it can cause serious water damage to your home and its foundation. Gutter repair and/or gutter installation, gutter cleaning and gutter guards all go hand in hand when it comes to developing a gutter system.
Do Your Old Gutters Need Gutter Repair?
Old gutters is a relative term, but it’s a really good indication your gutters are old if they are:
- Installed with spike and ferrule
- Showing significant exterior color fade
- Have seams along the run of the gutter
Often times we arrive to a job to check on repairs and we realize the client is in need of a gutter installation instead. If your gutters are leaking at the seams it may be time to update to seamless gutters. If your gutters were installed with spike and ferrule, this means they are likely 20 years old and you could also potentially have rotting fascia.
Obvious Warning Signs of Failing Gutters:
- Gutter hanging off the home – may need a gutter replacement
- Downspout disconnected from gutter or home
- Water in basement
- Water in home
- Seams leaking or dripping
- Overflowing gutters – may just need a gutter cleaning
Subtle Warning Signs of Failing Gutters:
- Spike & ferrules pulling away from the gutter where you can see the nail head popping out.
- Lines in your landscape below the gutter.
- Mold in areas below where gutters are, or should be
- Rotting deck boards, windowsills, garage doors, and regular doors below where gutters are, or should be.
- Erosion in landscape or mulch beds.
- Cracking or upheaval of sidewalks, patios, driveways and stairs.
- Paint flaking or peeling prematurely in areas near the base of the home.
- Dips or back pitch in gutters.
A gutter system that is properly installed and maintained by regular gutter cleanings or maintenance or protected with a gutter guards should last up to 30 years. Gutters that have not been properly maintained usually fail between 10 and 15 years.
If you are experiencing any of the following warning signs, please call us at 866-550-3569 or Request a Quote Online. Our professionals can help to determine whether you need just a gutter repair or if your gutter system needs to be replaced.