Let’s face it, it is hard to tell where exactly a leak is coming from unless you are a professional. It is common and easy to mistake the source of a problem, especially when the potential problem areas are right near each other. However, it is important that the proper distinction is made so that the correct problem can be fixed.
So how can you tell if it is your gutters or roof leaking?
- If the water is coming from a leak between the gutter and the fascia, it is very likely that this is a gutter problem and that the back of the gutter was not installed correctly.
- If the water is dripping between the fascia and the soffit or only from the soffit, this is a good indicator that the leak is coming from your roof.
- Your leak is a gutter problem if there is a clear issue with an element of the gutter system, or definite water coming from the gutters end caps, downspout or gutter seams etc.
- If the leak is flowing water into your home through the ceiling and this area of water leakage is not near the eaves of your roof, or your gutter system, this is more than likely a roof issue.
If you are unfamiliar with what fascia or soffit is, please read more here.
There are always unique cases and/or exceptions to any rules of thumb, but the scenarios above are those that are most common, and easily misdiagnosed. Improper installation of either system can, and most likely will, cause leaking issues and/or improper working of the system. Your roof is your home’s first line of defense against the atmosphere and your gutters are meant to protect your foundation and basement from water damage. Both of these functions are extremely important to the safety of your home and if you are experiencing any kind of leak, it is important to take care of it as soon as possible. Improperly installed, or damaged gutters and/or roof system can be cause for potentially expensive and large repairs in the future.
In some cases when you are noticing leaking of water, it may not mean there is damage, or some sort of repair needed. People often report to us concern that water is leaking off the front of their gutter, during, or right after a rainfall, but this is likely simply rain hitting the gutter and is normal during rainfall. If the water is pouring over the gutter rapidly, this likely simply means that your gutters are clogged and in need of a cleaning.
Here are some common signs that your roof may need some repairs:
- Water spots on your ceiling and/or interior or exterior walls
- Gutters filled with granules – this could mean your roof shingles are deteriorating
- Missing or broken shingles
- Dark/black spots on your roof
Here are some common signs that your gutters may need some repair:
- Cracks or splits of any kind in your gutter system
- Pools of water near your foundation
- Water marks or damage directly below your gutters
- Gutters sagging
- Water in your basement
If you think that your gutters may be leaking and/or that they were installer improperly, do not hesitate to give The Brothers that just do Gutters a call. Your gutter system is very important in maintaining the safety of your home and preventing water damage. If you are having an issue determining whether the problem is with your gutters or your roof, please review the scenarios above. If you determine it is in fact your gutters, or you are still unsure, have a professional come out and double check/replace your gutter system!