Do you have old gutters on your home?
Although old gutters is a relative term, it’s a really good indication your gutters are older if they are:
- Installed with spike and ferrule
- Showing significant exterior color fade
- Have seams along the run of gutter
Typically gutters over 20 years old were installed with spike and ferrules, which secure the gutter to the home. These gutters are often a lighter weight/ gauge .027 gutter, which easily dents or dips with the weight of a ladder or debris in the gutter.
After 10 years or more, these spikes become loose due to expanding and contraction of the aluminium, and begin working their way out of the wood and gutter. If you can see space between the head of the spike and the gutter, your system is running out of time. The spikes loose their strength the further they pull away from the gutter. Once there is a compromise in the strength of the gutter, it is just a matter of time before the gutter falls down, full of debris, ice or water often causing damage to the home or property.
Professional gutter companies should only use hidden hangers fastened with screws, as seen on the right here. The advantage is the threaded screws make a tighter bond with the fascia the gutter is attached to, that will not come loose with the expansion and contraction of the gutters over time. The hangers are also engineered to hold up to 200lbs per hanger. A seamless heavy gauge .032 gutter fastened with hidden hangers will last over 30 years!There are many warning signs that indicate the need for gutters or the replacement of your existing system. In many instances gutters can be repaired or re-secured.
A Gutter System that is properly installed and maintained by regular Gutter Cleanings or Maintenance or protected with a leaf guard should last up to 30 years. Gutters that have not been properly maintained usually fail between 10 and 15 years.
Below are the warning signs associated with gutters failing. If you are experiencing any of the following warning signs, please call us at 866-550-3569 or Request a Quote Online.
Obvious Warning Signs of Failing Gutters:
- Gutter hanging off the home
- Downspout disconnected from gutter or home
- No gutters on home
- Water in basement
- Water in home
- Seams leaking or dripping
- Overflowing gutters
Subtle Warning Signs of Failing Gutters:
- Spike & ferrules pulling away from the gutter where you can see the nail head popping out.
- Lines in your landscape below the gutter.
- Mold in areas below where gutters are, or should be
- Rotting deck boards, windowsills, garage doors, and regular doors below where gutters are, or should be.
- Erosion in landscape or mulch beds.
- Cracking or upheaval of sidewalks, patios, driveways and stairs.
- Paint flaking or peeling prematurely in areas near the base of the home.
- Dips or back pitch in gutters.