At The Brothers that just do Gutters, we are continually researching new products to make sure that we are always offering the best materials available on the market to our clients. Recently, when doing this research, we found a new-to-market gutter guard unlike any we’ve seen before. By combining some of the best qualities from guards already on the market with research on the biggest complaints and flaws of a number of industry leading guards, our current guard manufacturer was able to create a unique and extremely effective design and solution.
- What are the benefits of installing heat tape? Ice dams can form icicles on your roofs edge and your gutter system from the refreezing of melting ice and snow. As the snow melts, it drips down to your gutter system that is frozen over. Having nowhere to drain, the melted snow stays on top of your gutter system and then refreezes. This can cause damage to both your home and your gutter system. Heated gutters help to prevent this by heating up your gutters to consistently melt this ice, and keep your gutter system properly flowing throughout the winter.
- Do you install the heat tape on the roof? We install heat tape inside the gutter. This eliminates the eyesore that cable installed on the roof can cause, as well as produce a more effective solution. By heating up the actual gutter this helps to better eliminate ice dams from forming on your gutters. Towards the edge of the roof temperatures are colder. Installing heat tape on the first couple feet of the roof will melt snow and ice, but the ice dams can still form above your water shield and below the tape on your gutter. This melting from the edge of your roof then needs to drain somewhere. If the gutters are frozen there is nowhere for this water to drain causing icicles and ice damming on top of your gutters, potentially damaging your entire system. Heating up the actual gutter helps to keep your system flowing properly throughout the whole winter. Also, when installing heat tape on the roof, any roof warranty you had will often be void.
- How does the electrical hook up work with this product and how much electricity does it use? The Brothers that just do Gutters will install the tape in the bottom of the gutter, down the downspout and back across the top of the hangers. We will attach terminal ends to seal the cable end that will not be connected to the electrical panel. A licensed electrician will then come in and make the final connection to the electrical panel (manual on/off, ambient sensing thermostat, or automatic snow controller). The Nuheat Weather-Ready heat tape that The Brothers that just do Gutters install, self-regulates power output in response to changes in the ambient conditions. The power output will increase as ambient temperature decreases in the presence of ice or snowfall. As this water and ice temperature rises, the heat tape uses less wattage and emits less heat.
- Is it essential to install a guard with the heat tape? Although we don’t require a guard, we strongly recommend it because it does serve as a protectant for your heat tape, makes it more efficient, and increases the length of warranty coverage. The heat tape is completely exposed without a guard, which can lead to damage of the cable. Our complete solution includes the gutter system, the heat tape installed inside the gutter system, and the Rhino guard installed on top. The Rhino guard also serves to create a heat pocket further increasing the productivity of the heat tape. Rhino guard will even help to serve as a box-like strength further protecting your gutter system in the harsh weather of winter.
- Are heated gutters safe and/or are they a potential fire hazard? The cable has a UV resistant polyolefin outer jacket, tinned copper braided layer, and a fire resistant conductive core. Nuheat industries require equipment ground-fault protection on each heating cable circuit to reduce the danger of fire caused by continuous electrical arcing resulting from improper installation or damage to the heating cable. Installing the heat cable on the roof’s surface can be a potential fire hazard.
Now is the time to prepare your home for winter. If your home suffers from ice damming, heated gutters may be a great solution! Call to get The Brothers that just do Gutters complete solution today.